Arctic Club Hotel | Pioneer Square
The Arctic Club hotel is a quintessential embodiment of Seattle history, designed by Warren Gould, one of Seattle’s most prominent architects. Originally built and occupied by the Arctic Club, veterans of the Klondike Gold Rush which shaped much of Seattle’s early design and growth, the building was added to the National Historic Register in 1978. It served as offices for the city of Seattle before being redeveloped in 2006 as the landmark Arctic Club Hotel.
The Seattle icon is known for the terracotta walrus heads that ring the third story. The project, completed in early 2008, consists of 120 rooms, the historic Dome Room—topped by a 60’ diameter stained glass dome—and 5,000sf of ground floor retail and restaurant space. The project won Washington State’s 2008 Historic Preservation Award.
Year Built: 1916
Project Completed: 2008
Building SF: 105,000
Financing: Historic Tax Credits